Pour traduire ce site, choisissez votre langue dans le menu déroulant…
Vendée Holiday Cottages - Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I book instantly on this site?
Yes, you can! Just chose your property, click on the start date for your holiday on the calendar and then follow the instructions that appear on the screen. Once all boxes have been filled in, you have created a provisional booking. This will be sent to Annette at Vendée Holiday Cottages, and she will confirm your details and send you details for payment methods.
2. How do I pay for my holiday?
We accept credit cards and bank transfers as payment. A 30% deposit is required to secure your booking, with the remaining 70% plus a security deposit will be paid 8 weeks prior to the start of your holiday. Credit card payments are processed via the Stripe payment platform (secure payments)
Your security deposit will be returned within two weeks of the end of your holiday, once the property has been inspected.
3. Will I be charged any fees to book?
The price you see on the website is the price that you will pay – there are no hidden fees (unlike some of the larger online travel sites).
If you choose to pay by an international debit/credit card or international bank transfer, your card provider or bank may charge a processing fee.
4. Should I take out holiday insurance for my holiday?
We strongly advise all holiday makers to take out a holiday insurance policy – to include medical coverage (including repatriation), cancellation of holiday and/or transport (flights, ferries etc.), damage to holiday property and driving in Europe. Remember that after the 31/12/2020 guests from the UK will only have limited use of their EHIC card in Europe.
5. Can I bring my dog(s) with me?
We have many dog friendly holiday cottages on this site, but please check with us before making your booking, as some owners will only accept certain sized dogs or during certain periods.
Please ensure that your dog(s) have the correct paperwork/password for travelling abroad.
If you are travelling from the UK with your dog, please note that from the 1st January 2021 you will need to have a new UK Pet Passport/Health Certificate, have rabies jabs for your dogs etc.. This process can take up to 4 months for a 'first time traveller' so plan ahead.
6. Are linen and towels provided?
Please check the details for each property, as the majority, but not all, provide bed linens and most provide towels (see details about what the rental price includes for each property), but please bring your own pool and beach towels. Where a cot is provided, please bring your own cot bedding.
All beds have mattress and pillow protectors. Please tell us if you have allergies to feather pillows or feather duvets, as some properties may use these.
7. What is the check in time and check out time?
Check in times vary from property to property, but they are usually from 16:00 to 17:00 and check out on your final day is by 10am.
Please let us know your approximate arrival time so that we can arrange for the property owners to be there to meet you or for keys to be left for you.
If you are running late, please contact us (on the number that will be provided in your ‘arrival’ email).
8. Can we have an early check in / late check out?
This is not usually possible from May to the end of September, as bookings are usually back to back – with guests leaving and new ones arriving on the same day, so time is needed to prepare the holiday homes.
If you are planning to arrive early, then you may be able to drop off your bags if the property is not ready.
Out of the high season, we can usually be more flexible as there may not be back to back guests.
9. Are the holiday cottages wheel chair accessible?
Unfortunately, none of our properties are fully wheelchair friendly, but some may be suitable for guests with limited mobility if they are set on one level. Please ask before booking and we can advise you further.
10. Will there be parking at the property?
All properties have either private off-road parking or allocated places in front of the property. Please read the individual property page for more details.
11. Is there a Wi-Fi Internet Connection at the property?
Yes, all properties on this website have a secure Wi-Fi internet access. Please bear in mind that many of the properties listed here are in rural locations and have thick stone walls, so the internet connection may not be very fast. There is usually a 3G or 4G network available outside that you can log on to. There is no charge for using the Wi-Fi network.
12. Are the properties suitable for children?
All of the properties listed on this website are child friendly – many have pools and secure gardens. See the individual page for details of what each property provides for children.
13. Can we rent more than one property?
Yes, certain properties are located together, so may be rented together for larger groups. Please bear in mind though, that none are suitable for wedding parties/stag or hen do’s/late night parties. Please contact us for more details.
14. Should I book tickets for local attractions before arriving?
It is a good idea to book certain attractions before your arrival, as tickets can sell out quickly for the peak summer months.
• Puy du Fou – if you book at least 72 hours in advance you will save money. The evening Cinescenie show gets reserved very early in the year, so you don’t want to miss out.
• O’Gliss Water Park – only open from mid-June until September and weekends can get very busy, so book early.
• Futuroscope – book early to beat the queues
• Train à Vapeur – Vendée Steam Train – book early for the restaurant car and trip as there are limited places
• Atlantic Wake Park – book a daily training course in advance
• Surf School – book lessons in advance
• Bike Hire – book in advance and get your bikes delivered to your holiday home.
15. Is there a Tourism Tax to pay?
Certain areas/communes in France charge tourists a ‘Taxe de Séjour’ – owners build this in to their prices, so, where applicable, you will not be expected to pay separately for this.
16. Is there a cleaning charge at the end of the holiday?
We do not charge an extra fees for cleaning, but we do ask guests to leave the property in the same condition as you found it. Full instructions about what is expected on your last day are included in the Guest Information Book in the holiday home. Generally we expect you to leave the house tidy, striping the beds, emptying the rubbish bins, and sweeping the floor.
If the property is not left in a clean and tidy condition, we reserve the right to take a portion or all of your security deposit as payment for any extra cleaning needed.
17. If I fly, how can I reach my holiday cottage?
There are three main airports within around an hour of the Vendée that fly from the UK, Ireland and other European cities – Nantes, La Rochelle and Poitiers. Car hire is available at all of the airports.
18. Should I book a ferry or use the Eurotunnel to get to the Vendée?
The nearest ferry port is at St Malo – about a 3-4 hour drive away. If you sail with Brittany Ferries, we can offer you a discount code to save you 10% on your crossing. Other ports range from 4 to 7 hours’ drive from the Vendée and the Eurotunnel is at least a 6 hour drive.
Please bear in mind that there are toll roads on many major French motorways (with charges up to €89 each way for the Calais to Vendée drive).
19. Will there be a washing machine at the property?
Yes, each property has a washing machine and either an airer in the garden or a clothes airer for inside.
20. I am arriving on a Saturday afternoon, or Sunday. Will shops be open?
The local supermarkets close at either 7 or 8pm on Saturdays, and many are open on Sunday mornings. We can advise you closer to your arrival. Several properties can also provide a shopping service to buy in the essentials for your holiday.
21. Is there a BBQ and outside seating?
Yes, all properties have a BBQ, plus a terrace or patio with table and chairs.
22. What is the weather like in the Vendée?
The Vendée is known to have a micro-climate and has over 2500 hours of sunshine per year.
The summers are generally long and hot, with temperatures ranging from mid-20 to mid-30 degrees.
The warm weather usually starts around mid-April and goes on until the end of September.
Autumn is mild, and winter can be wet rather than cold.
Early Spring can be good too – with crisp bright mornings and warm afternoons – but may be quite rainy too!
23. What do I need to bring with me?
We provide the basics to get you started: toilet rolls, condiments, tea, coffee, sugar, tea towels, washing up sponges, dustbin bags, cleaning products.
You will need to bring beach/pool towels, supplies for your holiday, sun tan cream etc..
24. Can I charge my electric car at the property?
Unfortunately none of our properties have a facility to charge electric cars, and for safety and insurance purposes, no charging of electric cars is allowed on any of the properties featured on this site. Most supermarkets have a charging points in their carparks.
25. How many guests can I bring with me?
This will vary from property to property – please check out the individual property details. However, only people listed on the booking form will be allowed to stay at the property – up to the limit of allowed guests for that property.
26. If I need to cancel – can I get my money back?
We strongly advise all guests to take out insurance once they have booked their holiday to cover any cancellations due to medical reasons, transport cancellations, or other reasons.
Our Terms & Conditions state that we will endeavour to re-book your dates and will only be in a position to refund you if we are able to re-book the dates (less any discounts that we may have had to give for a last-minute booking)
27. Do I need to have a passport and or Driving Licence to come to France?
If you are travelling from the UK or Ireland by ferry or plane, you will need to show your passport to be allowed in the country. If you intend to drive, then, yes you must have a valid driving license.
28. Is the EHIC Health card valid in France?
From 2021, this card will be valid for limited medical conditions, so please, as previously advised, take out medical insurance as trips to the hospital or doctors can be expensive.
29. What is the COVID Cancellation Policy
There are currently no travel restrictions for people wanting to come to France in 2023.
For current travel requirements and Covid Information, please click on the following links:
For guests arriving from the UK: UK Government Website
Information about restrictions coming to France France International Travel Requirements
Procedures for obtaining a valid COVID Certificate in France for Non-EU guests: COVID Certificate
OUR COVID CANCELLATION POLICY
If you have already booked a holiday with Vendée Holiday Cottages and will be travelling from the UK, here is the policy that we are using for guests who have a current booking with us:
• If travel is permitted, then your booking should go ahead as planned.
• If you decide not to travel (when travel is permitted, even if quarantine is required), then our normal terms and conditions will apply and we can open your dates up to others, but we will only be able to refund your payment (less an admin fee) if we are able to rebook your dates.
• If travel is not permitted from the UK, but France has no restrictions, then we can either move your holiday to a future date, issue a voucher to the value of your deposit to be used for a future holiday with Vendée Holiday Cottages or open the dates to local guests and refund your deposit if it is re-booked.
• If France has a lockdown situation, then we can move your holiday to a future date, issue a voucher to the value of your deposit or offer a refund if the French Government sanctions this.
• If you or one of your party is Covid-positive just before travelling, then you need to contact your insurance company, as we are advising all guests to take out an insurance policy that will cover against cancellation, medical and transport problems. Our normal Terms and Conditions will apply. As a business, we cannot become your insurance policy and you need to take some responsibility for booking a foreign holiday during an ongoing pandemic.
• If you are based in France and book a holiday with us, then we will respect the local laws with regards to lockdowns and any regional restrictions that may be in place. We can offer to move your holiday to a future date, issue a voucher or if we are all in a lockdown situation, then offer a refund.
30. What Covid Precautions are in place at the holiday cottages?
Properties will be prepared with their usual thorough clean, plus…..
The house will have been aired before your arrival.
All bed linens will have been washed and replaced between visitors.
All work surfaces, floors, tiles have been cleaned with a mild bleach solution, plus cleaning products.
All door handles, light switches, banisters will have been wiped down with soap and water to remove any trace of virus.
All bins will have been cleaned and lined with new bags.
If there is a swimming pool at the property, then chemical levels are checked on at least a weekly basis and the sun loungers are cleaned at the end of each set of guests.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us using the Contact Us button below.
Vendée Holiday Cottages
Annette & Jason Khan
3 rue de la Motte
Tel: 00 33 (0)2 51 28 43 98
Mobile: 00 33 (0)6 43 37 87 74
WhatsApp: 00 33 (0)6 43 37 87 74
(Annette Khan Entrepreneur Individuelle : Maison Lairoux/Vendée Holiday Cottages)